Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Acceptable Level of Truthiness

Billy Mernit, of Living the Romantic Comedy, has come up with an interesting phrase "Acceptable Level of Manipulation," a corollary to "Suspension of Disbelief," to describe what degree of manipulation we as the audience will expect and accept from any specific medium or genre.

He then projects the ALM concept onto society and asks what we, as citizens, will accept from those from whom we receive information. Will we demand Truth or settle for Truthiness?

5 Comments:

Blogger Fun Joel said...

Hey there! I don't think I've seen your blog before. If I have, sorry for not remembering. Anyway, Thanks for the link, and welcome to the Scribosphere! :-) Looking forward to reading more.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 5:12:00 PM  
Blogger Adam Renfro said...

Oh, no you di-in?t! If you don?t give a shout out to Stephen Colbert, he will bust you out!

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:22:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Believe it or not...

Colbert didn't coin the word "truthiness." It's found in the Oxford English Dictionary as a derivitive of the word "truthy."

Although, to give the man credit, he did put a newish spin on the word.

Ain't English great? :)

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 11:00:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

*waves at Fun Joel*

Welcome! :)

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 11:25:00 PM  
Blogger mernitman said...

Elizabeth I can't believe it took me this long to find you, but I'm glad I did! Thank you so much for the shout-out (which I'll undoubtedly return at some point) and especially for being even more succinctly coherent about what I was talking about than I was.

Sunday, February 19, 2006 11:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home